Skylights are a popular feature in many homes, providing natural light and ventilation to interior spaces. However, before you decide to install a skylight in your home, it is important to weigh the pros and cons. Here are some things to consider:
The Pros of Skylights
- Light in Dark Places: Skylights allow natural light to enter interior spaces that do not have access to windows, such as bathrooms located in the middle of the house.
- Aesthetically Pleasing: Skylights provide a beautiful view of the sky and can enhance the ambiance of any room.
- Fresh Air: Venting skylights can provide fresh air to a room, which can be especially useful in the summer months or in warmer climates.
- Indirect Solar Light: Properly placed skylights can provide indirect solar energy, which can help regulate the temperature of your home.
The Cons of Skylights
- Expense: Skylights can be expensive to install and maintain, and they can also increase your energy bills. Additionally, they may create wear and tear on your roof and can potentially increase your insurance premiums.
- Potential Roof Leaks: Skylights are prone to leaking, which can lead to costly repairs. It is important to invest in a high-quality skylight and ensure that it is installed properly with proper flashing and waterproofing.
- Potential Interior Damage: Skylights can cause damage to furniture and carpets due to UV exposure. Installing a shade or screen can help mitigate this issue.
- Potential Roof Damage: Large skylights can potentially damage your roof structurally, so it is important to determine if your roof can handle the weight of a skylight before installation.
If you are considering installing a skylight, it is important to consult with an experienced roofing contractor to determine the costs and ensure proper installation. While skylights can provide many benefits, it is important to weigh the pros and cons before making a final decision.
About Total Home Roofing: Total Home Roofing Central Florida’s #1 Residential and Commercial roofing company. Based in Rockledge, FL, founded in 2006, Total Home roofing has over 150 employees and 3 Central Florida offices available to serve you.
Serving Orlando, Winter Park, Winter Garden, Maitland, Apopka, Edgewood, Ocoee, Belle Isle, Bay Lake (part of Walt Disney World), Lake Buena Vista (part of Walt Disney World), Eatonville, Oakland, Windermere, Cocoa Beach, Merritt Island, Vero Beach, Melbourne, Viera, Dewater, Titusville, Sanford, Daytona Beach, Port Orange, New Smyrna Beach, Ormond Beach, Kissimmee, Winter Haven, Ocala, Altamonte Springs, Longwood, Deltona, Oviedo, Deland, St. Cloud, Cape Canaveral, Ponce Inlet, Melbourne Beach, and the surrounding areas.
Locations: Brevard County FL, Orange and Seminole Counties FL, Volusia County FL, Cincinnati, Oh.