Sometimes a roof can naturally reach the end of its useful life without experiencing a roof failure. Maybe it looks old and worn, and you are concerned that it may be time for a new roof. If replacing an old roof is delayed, it could result in bigger problems down the road. So watch for the warning signs to be sure to give yourself plenty of time to add the project to your TO DO list.
9 Potential signs that your roof may need to be replaced:
- Shingle edges are curled or shingle tabs are cupped.
- Bald spots where granules are missing.
- Cracked shingles.
- Your roof is at least 20 years old; while many shingles today are produced for durability, many factors can accelerate the aging of shingles. For example, if your roof is not properly ventilated, it can negatively impact your shingles.
- The roof just looks old and worn.
- Neighbors are getting new roofs. Homes built around the same time period can be experiencing the same types of weather conditions can mean that your roof is nearing its useful life.
- Dark streaks. Airborne algae cause dark streaks on roof decks. While this may not necessarily harm the roof shingles, it may not look good. Algae streaks can be removed using a 50:50 blend of water and bleach sprayed on your roof. It is important to use a low volume garden hose so you do not knock the protective granules off your shingles. It is also important that you protect your landscaping from the bleach run-off.
- Moss can grow on roof surfaces that don’t get much sunlight, especially in cool, moist climates. Moss growth can be more than a cosmetic issue. Moss holds moisture against the roof surface and overtime in freezing climates can cause damage to the granules on the top of the shingles. Moss can be brushed off but it won’t prevent it from growing again; take care not to damage the shingle surface. You may need to contact a professional roofing contractor.
- Missing Granules.
If you are experiencing any of these signs or concerned about your roof, please contact the experts at Total Home Roofing for a free roof evaluation.
About Total Home Roofing: Total Home Roofing Central Florida’s #1 Residential and Commercial roofing company. Based in Rockledge, FL, founded in 2006, Total Home roofing has over 150 employees and 3 Central Florida offices available to serve you.
Serving Orlando, Winter Park, Winter Garden, Maitland, Apopka, Edgewood, Ocoee, Belle Isle, Bay Lake (part of Walt Disney World), Lake Buena Vista (part of Walt Disney World), Eatonville, Oakland, Windermere, Cocoa Beach, Merritt Island, Vero Beach, Melbourne, Viera, Dewater, Titusville, Sanford, Daytona Beach, Port Orange, New Smyrna Beach, Ormond Beach, Kissimmee, Winter Haven, Ocala, Altamonte Springs, Longwood, Deltona, Oviedo, Deland, St. Cloud, Cape Canaveral, Ponce Inlet, Melbourne Beach, and the surrounding areas.
Locations: Brevard County FL, Orange and Seminole Counties FL, Volusia County FL, Cincinnati, Oh.