“Fun” may not be the first thing you think about when you think of roofing, but here at Total Home Roofing, we think about roofs all the time. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of several interesting and little-known facts about the roof and roofing.
1. Some of the oldest roofing materials in the world are thatch, clay, and stone. Thatch was likely used between 5000 and 1800 B.C. Clay tiles can be traced all the way back to around 10,000 BC!
2. Thatched roofs are effective because the reed used is naturally waterproof, and is bundled so tightly that it simply sheds water. A thatched roof can shed water, sleet, and snow.
3. Metal roofing materials are often lighter in weight than wood shingles.
4. Metal roofs are not more prone to lightning strikes than other roofs. Lightning is equally drawn to other materials, not just metals. In fact, metal roofs can protect your home from lightning because they are noncombustible.
5. Even though asphalt shingles are a newer product (invented circa 1900), they are by far the most popular roofing product in America. 75% of the homes in North America have asphalt shingles.
6. Water tends to travels before it drips down visibly. Interesting, a leak can come out twenty feet away from the original leak in a roof. Most people don’t give much thought to their roofs. The roof is one of the most important parts of your home because it protects you from the weather and helps complete your home’s style.
7. The most common weak spots on your roof are areas that need protection from flashing. However, damaged shingles or damage in the waterproofing material which lays underneath the shingles are also common causes of roof leaks. A leak may not mean you need to replace your entire roof. However, if the leak has persisted lasted long enough without management, there is likely dry rot involved – or the roof is very old – it may be time to get it replaced. If your roof needs servicing, don’t hesitate. Our team of experienced, trustworthy professionals at Total Home Roofing is at your service! Remember, estimates are always free, and financing is available. Call today!
We have 3 Central Florida offices ready to schedule your free roofing estimate:
Brevard – 321-369-9600
Orlando – 407-674-5655
Daytona – 386-516-5630
About Total Home Roofing: Total Home Roofing is a Residential and Commercial roofing company based in Rockledge, FL, founded in 2006, Total Home roofing has over 150 employees and 3 Central Florida offices.
Serving Orlando, Winter Park, Winter Garden, Maitland, Apopka, Edgewood, Ocoee, Belle Isle, Bay Lake (part of Walt Disney World), Lake Buena Vista (part of Walt Disney World), Eatonville, Oakland, Windermere, Cocoa Beach, Merritt Island, Vero Beach, Melbourne, Viera, Dewater, Titusville, Sanford, Daytona Beach, Port Orange, New Smyrna Beach, Ormond Beach, Kissimmee, Winter Haven, Ocala, Altamonte Springs, Longwood, Deltona, Oviedo, Deland, St. Cloud, Cape Canaveral, Ponce Inlet, Melbourne Beach, and the surrounding areas.
Locations: Brevard County FL, Orange and Seminole Counties FL, Volusia County FL.