Taking care of your roof is crucial as a homeowner. It can be easy to forget about it since it’s not always visible, but neglecting it can lead to major problems. Even professionals can miss potential issues, so it’s important to have training, skills, and experience to understand what to look for in terms of repairs. Detecting problems early is key to maintaining the structural integrity of your roof.
Here are the 10 most common problems to be on the lookout for…
- Lack of Maintenance – Schedule an annual inspection of your roof and have a professional inspection after any severe storm events. Neglecting your roof can lead to mildew, sagging, or large holes.
- Improper Repairs – Shady contractors may bid on a job and cut corners, leading to improper repairs. Make sure to hire a reputable company.
- Ventilation – Roof and attic ventilation is essential for regulating temperature and moisture levels in the attic. Left unchecked, heat and moisture can cause damage to rafters, sheathing, shingles, insulation, and raise energy costs.
- Storm-Related Damage – Any season can cause damage to your roof, such as hail, rain, heavy winds, lightning, or broken branches. After any weather-related events, have your roof inspected for possible damages.
- Roof Leaks – A leak compromises the lid-like function of your roof, allowing water inside. Detecting leaks early is important to minimize damage.
- Moisture – Built-up moisture can cause mold, mildew, and rot, leading to deeper problems if it gets into the walls and poses a threat to the structure of the house.
- Poor or Faulty Installation – Shoddy repair work or an unqualified person can cause problems that may take years to detect. At the very least, you may need to replace the roof.
- Trees – Overhanging tree limbs can abrade the surface of the shingles, wear away the protective top layer, or fall on the roof, causing serious damage. Trim tree limbs away from the roof and remove any trees that pose a threat to your home.
- Improperly Installed Flashing – Flashing seals the areas where your roof has been penetrated, and poorly attached flashing can cause open seams and laps, ultimately causing tiles to blow off and reducing puncture resistance.
- Critters – Small animals, birds, and insects can cause damage to your roof. Evict them before they get a foothold.
To prevent avoidable problems with your roof, only work with reputable companies. Make sure they are licensed, insured, and check their rating with the Better Business Bureau. If possible, ask for references and hire someone who has already worked with a friend, neighbor, or co-worker.
Call the professionals at Total Home Roofing for a free roof inspection.
About Total Home Roofing: Total Home Roofing Central Florida’s #1 Residential and Commercial roofing company. Based in Rockledge, FL, founded in 2006, Total Home roofing has over 150 employees and 3 Central Florida offices available to serve you.
Serving Orlando, Winter Park, Winter Garden, Maitland, Apopka, Edgewood, Ocoee, Belle Isle, Bay Lake (part of Walt Disney World), Lake Buena Vista (part of Walt Disney World), Eatonville, Oakland, Windermere, Cocoa Beach, Merritt Island, Vero Beach, Melbourne, Viera, Dewater, Titusville, Sanford, Daytona Beach, Port Orange, New Smyrna Beach, Ormond Beach, Kissimmee, Winter Haven, Ocala, Altamonte Springs, Longwood, Deltona, Oviedo, Deland, St. Cloud, Cape Canaveral, Ponce Inlet, Melbourne Beach, and the surrounding areas.
Locations: Brevard County FL, Orange and Seminole Counties FL, Volusia County FL, Cincinnati, Oh.